Saturday, March 17, 2012

Missing Menstrual Cycles

Before my first fast, my hormones were a mess, which meant my menstrual cycles were a mess as well.  They were either super heavy or very light, three days long or 10 days long, two weeks apart or five weeks apart.  It was frustrating. 

However, I didn't have a menstrual cycle for two months following my first fast. I wasn't worried even if I should have been.  After all, I had never felt as wonderful as I did after the fast.  Once my cycles returned, they were 100% consistent.  They were about 25 days apart, 5 days long, and were moderate in what was expelled.  Since then, I never missed a cycle even when I was doing my second and third juice fasts.

In addition, while eating a mostly whole foods diet, I didn't suffer from PMS or cramps.  It wasn't until I began moving back towards the old ways of eating that the PMS and cramping slowly started to return.   

Based on some of the blogs that I have read, this seems to be a common phenomenon for women who are juicing for long periods of time , but of course I am not an expert. I only know that what happened to my body and that my hormones are normal for the first time that I can ever remember.  Of course always consult a physician if you have any concerns if this happens to you.

But I will note this: Eating doesn't ensure that your hormones are healthy either!  After all, my pre-fast menstrual cycles were atrocious.  Also, watch this episode of You Are What You Eat.  The daughter is overweight and was no longer having periods thanks to her obesity and eating habits.  She was 7.5 stones (105 pounds) overweight.
 

(This is the first of three videos for this episode.)

No comments:

Post a Comment